Elevenses in the British culture, is a time for tea and a scone, a most tasty break for mid-morning and enjoyed every day. This short break usually begins at 11:00 a.m. for 10 – 15 minutes and is a much needed and appreciated time of day away from work or whatever you may be doing.
When Elevenses arrive you may find yourself with others for this short break. If a pot of tea is placed on the table, it is proper etiquette for the person closest to the teapot to pour the tea for the others and then for themselves last. Enjoy a biscuit or scone one bite at a time.
- Move your teaspoon front and back, not in a circle
- Do not clang inside of the teacup
- Always remove the spoon from the teacup
- Do not sip the tea from your teaspoon
- Place your teaspoon to the right side on the tea saucer
- The teacup handle faces to the right at 3:00 on the tea saucer